Thursday, August 25, 2005

in Moog we trust

I just found out on bbc.com that Robert Moog, of synthesiser fame, passed away on Sunday from brain cancer. Why did nobody tell me this?! I'd never really followed him all that closely, but I am a massive fan of synth music, and I am really moved by what he did for our modern culture. I think I need to lie down now.

This reminds me: no one told me until a month ago that Jonathan Brandis hung himself, two whole years ago. How do these things escape my attention? I'm starting to worry about my apparent bubble of non-information.

On an unrelated note, I just wanted to say that I received a call from Central Casting, saying they needed an emergency "upscale woman with car" for Mission Impossible:3. This amuses me to no end. Alas, I had to decline, because of a potential schedule conflict, plus they had given me zero time for prep (6:12am phone call, for a 7:30 call time on set in Arcadia). We upscale women need an hour at least for prep alone, never mind for driving to Arcadia! Sigh. I sort of miss doing the background-actor thing, but joining AFTRA really ruined my opportunities. And anyway, being a DP rocks so much harder.

Another unrelated note: Amy Correia's "Hold On" and The Dresden Dolls' "Coin-Operated Boy" are fantastic. Listen to both ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment