Tuesday, August 22, 2006

artfun!

So I hung out with artist/animator Eric Canete yesterday, and we had the terrific luck of sitting in a restaurant that had thoughtfully covered its tables with paper! So, I browbeat him into drawing something for me, and it turned out like this:

Eric Canete original


We had just been looking at lots of religious iconography at the Norton Simon, so I guess he was still in that 'guardian angel' frame of mind. I fancy myself a bit of a drawer (heh, 'drawer'), but I will never be able to bang out quick sketches like this. DANG, this guy's good.

Also good: the show with zefrank.

I love this man. If I bump into him on the street, I will have a seizure. It will be A Seizure of Joy, but it will still be embarrassing.

And if you want any insight into my early childhood attempts at romantic fantasies, here ya go: the music video for A-ha's "Take On Me."

What I want to know is, why was the restaurant so goshdarn foggy? It wasn't like anyone was smoking, so perhaps it was The Steaminess of Comic Book Love. Back to complete seriousness, that moment where the girl takes the hand sticking out of the comic book still gives me a major frisson. Other girls, back in second grade, had their Prince-Charming-on-a-white-unicorn-coming-to-sweep-you-off-your-feet fantasies; mine all involved running around stark, hand-drawn landscapes with hot Norwegians, where everyone had enough mousse in their hair to deflect small bullets. I was the coolest second-grader ever, but nobody knew it except me. Story of my life....

2 comments:

  1. [ Original comment from :matto imported from MySpace ]

    Let's just say that rotoscoping had its hey-day and now it is merely a shadow of an A-ha! moment. Thanks for the share.

    Posted by :matto on August 23, 2006 - Wednesday at 10:49 AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. [ Original comment from Astrid imported from MySpace ]

    MERELY A SHADOW?! I heart rotoscoping! Darn you, Mr. Seng, darn you! And I don't mean the sort of darning normally reserved for socks.

    Posted by Astrid on August 23, 2006 - Wednesday at 10:50 AM

    ReplyDelete