Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Magic of Irbhinn

    Plagiarized from an email I just sent:
    I just learned from Wikipedia that William Wallace's fate was influenced by a temporary truce between the Scots and the English in -- wait for it -- Irvine, Scotland. According to Wikipedia, Irvine is from the Gaelic "Irbhinn", and folks like Robert Burns, Poe, Nobel, and Napoleon hung out there; Nobel even had a factory in town. And if you're a fan of Atlas Shrugged (which I am), there really was a John Galt, and he hung out in the original Irvine as well, plus his novel The Member has political corruption as its central theme, just like Atlas Shrugged. I don't know about you, but I find all of this fascinating. This is why Wikipedia is very, very dangerous for me. It's amazing that I ever get any work done.

    And I just had two Christian guys -- Jehovah's Witnesses? Mormons? I should've looked more closely at their nametags -- come to my door a couple of minutes ago. I'd always heard about such things happening, but I'd never had it happen to me! Isn't that crazy? I now feel complete as an American adult, somehow. I politely sent them on their way, rather than reducing them to fisticuffs; maybe I should have rock/paper/scissored them for their immortal souls.

    As for the Orange Curtain, let me know when you want to hit Little Saigon -- or if you want to go to the BCD Tofu House, which is down the street from me. Also down the street from me, but in the opposite direction, is Blizzard Entertainment, which always impresses the WoW fans. WHOO IRVINE. Or should I say WHOO IRBHINN? Nah, that would be idiotic. I'm sure glad I didn't say it, aren't you?

    Can you tell I'm desperately procrastinating doing my reading? :)


4 comments:

  1. FYI: Jehovah's Witnesses do not wear name tags. Mormon boys do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same problem. I start doing some research on the Aurora Borealis, next thing I know, I'm knee deep in Norse mythology finding out about Ragnarok when Thor and the snake swallowing it's own tail that makes up the mortal plane destroy each other and bring about the apocalypse. Yeesh.

    Nice Rand shoutout, for the win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kent: See, you feel my pain. O, the sweet, delicious pain of Wikipedia....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @CAT: thanks for the clarification. I'd never met real, live Mormons before (only renegade Mormons who worship Satan by drinking coffee and wearing tank tops), so this is totally rad.

    ReplyDelete