Sunday, December 9, 2007

YouTube Parade

I just wrapped a short called "The Magic Finger," directed by JR Burningham and produced by Tess Ortbals (who apparently doesn't have her own website, and therefore doesn't exist), and it was a blast. There was a live duck, for example, who was very well-behaved. Also, JR and Tess are phenomenally good people, and everybody else involved was extra fab, so it was easily one of the best shoots I've had in a while. Hooray for heartwarming Hollywood experiences! Better than chicken soup for the soul, except for having to wake up at 4:30am on a couple of the shoot days. That part is more like moldy, sour grapes for the soul. Ick.

Anyway, below is an assortment of various YouTubery that I've been enjoying lately, take a gander and see how loopy I am.



Howard Jones, "The Prisoner" This is an extremely rare view of a camera being professionally wielded by a woman -- only imagine! The music video plays with some interesting concepts (photography as a form of 'capturing' somebody, manipulation of a person's image signifying a shift in power between the manipulator and manipulated, blah blah hermeneutic crap blah blah), plus it has Howard Jones being all 80's-style soulful, so I love this thing. I don't get the bride-with-a-syringe imagery in the middle (Bridezilla will sedate you, monkey boy?), plus there are so many ripoffs (er, homages) of classic photos that it really makes one's head spin, so consider yourself warned.



Channel 4 'Get set for digital' MAX HEADROOM LIVES! OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY! I would totally smooch Max Headroom. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Granted, I might be reduced to licking a TV monitor, but I still say it would be worth it. Yowza.



Here Comes Another Bubble - The Richter Scales Fun rant in song format about Internet bubbles, sung to the tune of "We Didn't Start the Fire." Surprisingly entertaining, at least for me, and I think we've already established that I am very, very easily entertained; for goodness' sake, I'm now licking TV screens. Sigh.



Dylan Moran - Monster He completely switches gears midway, but all gears are clearly labeled 'Awesome.' I have never seen such a terrifically thorough portrait of a stereotypical French starving artist in my life.



Ze Frank - "Privacy" Ze is not to everybody's taste, but I still think he's neato. He makes going to hell in a handbag sound good, or at least entertaining.



"very creepy, disturbing children's cartoon, banned from TV" This was brought to my attention by my friend Jason, and boy howdy is this video riveting. RIVETING. What can I say? I'm a sucker for brilliant claymation.



100 Movies, 100 Quotes, 100 Numbers

AND the entire film clip list for "100 Movies," above
This is such a great idea, I'm kicking myself for not having thought of it first.



Zero Gravity Water Bubble Hypnotic.



"Man Cold" from Man Stroke Woman Why ARE guys such weenies when they're ill? Most interesting.

4 comments:

  1. Ze Frank makes me want to soul-barf, but the claymation video was fantastic.

    I couldn't find anything disturbing in it.

    The funniest part was when the coffin fell into the chasm. I was like, "I bet you thought it couldn't get any worse, didn't you! Here you were - dead - and now you've gone and fallen into a chasm! Ha ha! Fucking loser!"

    And it's not because it made me feel better about myself. Ze Frank is one of those people who makes me feel better about myself. This claymation thing, on the other hand, was just wonderful entertainment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to come back to remind you that Ze Frank sucks.

    I'll perform this service on occasion to try and steer you back on the Right path.

    Someday, you'll cave. And, on that day, you will thank me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you'll need to explain this to me: how does Ze Frank suck? Why does he make you want to soul-barf?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howard Jones...Damn twins!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/clips/fifth.shtml

    So let me get this straight, if I use mass transfer frequently I can get paid to play with bubbles in space...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz3jWgp7iDs

    ReplyDelete