Saturday, August 18, 2007

on having a life

I've amassed yet another Lump o' Media Goodness over the past few months or so, which I've laid out below for your clicking enjoyment. I really need to get out more. Oh, wait, I saw "Becoming Jane" today, which made me all sorts of weepy and peevish, and then I went to Ross and bought random-yet-necessary housewares. Yes, folks, I AM Ms. Friday Night Madness.

This weekend will be nuts, though, because I'll be seeing a play directed by a friend, and then hanging out with my friend Marla WHOM I HAVEN'T SEEN IN YEARS, since she'll be vacationing in LA with her fabulous man for a few days. Also, "Fool Me Once" will be screening at Cinespace in Hollywood on Sunday evening, sometime between 6pm and 8pm; if you haven't seen my cinematography on a big(ger) screen yet, come on by.

So, yeah, I still have a life. I'm just sayin'.

10 Jobs You Can Do If You're A Blogger -- because I heart yongfook.

Think of England (1999) -- defining Englishness, whatever that means.

Catherine Tate: Lauren - Periodic Table...best snarky student ever.

Alanis Morissette "My Humps" video -- sad and eerie, and very well done.

Mute Math - "Typical" -- plays well with reverse filming.

Le Mont Solaire -- hooray for giant sun dials as art!

Lego camera!

Game developers: get a clue -- I agree with this 100%.

Root beer float cookies!

Save snowflakes forever!

Furniture from Weapons -- godawful but still mesmerizing.

Hugh MacLeod's How to Be Creative -- because this guy rocks.

Cool Hunter: Inspiration Nation -- a terrific almost-manifesto

If Crack Dealers Took Lessons From Walgreens, They Really Would Be Rich -- this blew my mind

RED CROSS mobile billboard -- brilliance

Medieval Cookery -- "A Dishe of Artechokes" looks really good!

Moon-bison and other 19th C. pranks

The best hoax pharma site ever!

SkyMaul -- sheer fabulosity.

BBC: The Lyrebird -- it starts off slowly, but just keep watching. It's a bird that can mimic, among other things, cameras, car alarms, and chain saws. Only imagine.

CYRK: Unicyclist with Derby (by Hubert Hilscher) -- beautiful. I love wacky vintage crap.

Oh no, it's The Beatniks! A mutinous generation! Wrought with suppressed emotions!

Exploding Head Syndrome -- boy, I sure hate when that happens.

B inside TV animated cartoon "S.P.I.C." -- I LOVE watching people draw in fast motion, especially when they're actually okay at it. It reminds me of Sesame Street, when a hand would enter frame and draw an elaborate scene, which would then magically come to life. If you can find me a YouTube of that, I'll give you a cookie.

"Olde English: Sad, Drunk 15 Year-Old" "Is that how you feel?" "If push-ups were cuddles and sharks were you...." You'll have to sit through some military propaganda before watching this, but it'll be worth it.

Cold War Kids: "Hang Me Up to Dry" -- Shot like European 60's neorealism! Startlingly stylish.

The ecstasy of influence: A plagiarism by Jonathan Lethem -- about the fragmentary cultural consciousness we see in all media. Definitely an eye-opener.

Thrill to the gloriously mad art of Jesse Lefkowitz!

Humanity Lobotomy -- a brief history of the Internet, and how the Web as we know it may die rather soon, in a very bloody battle indeed over net neutrality.

True Blue -- brilliantly hilarious.

Cheapest Eyeglasses in the World -- I'm never getting mine in the US again.

Tokyo Summerland wave pool makes me ill on behalf of humanity.

College Will Kill Your Entrepreneurial Spirit While Simultaneously Turning You Into a Worker Bee -- pretty much says it all.

The Dollar Dreadful Family Library -- for fans of eccentric Victoriana.

Damn Interesting: Raiders of the Lost Lake -- all about Lake Vostok, which is a nifty discovery.

meish dot org: Facebook and the Perils of Prodigious Sociability Welcome to my life.

WikiMedia: Infinite Descent (I just learned what a Shepard Tone is, I feel so smart now.)

Fifteen Unfortunately-Placed Ads -- I always love these.

Jessica the Hippo -- the adorablest thing ever!

The Bond of St. Marcel -- a graphic novel to be released in 2008, written by fellow USC alumna Jenn Quintenz!

Retro Thing: Make Better Home Movies -- Super 8 Tutorial Film -- it's very slowly-paced, but everything they say is truly a nugget of wisdom for every filmmaker. I especially like the line "[e]arly morning- and late evening-light can be enchanting." Truer words were never spoken.

Thomas Edison Hates Cats -- I had no idea Edison helped cook up (ick, sorry) the electric chair. This may or may not be true, but it's a heckuva rumor to perpetuate, so now I'm helping.

To quote myself: You may now returned to your regularly scheduled life.

No comments:

Post a Comment