Wednesday, September 12, 2007

two weeks' worth of smorgasbording

Science & Technology for a Better Tomorrow
Stirling engines will save the world! And it only took a century to get around to this.

Building Stonehenge - This Man can Move Anything via William Gibson Books

360 degree Light Field Display via Boing Boing. It's so holographo-riffic, I can't stand it!


Science & Technology for a More Excitingly Disturbing Tomorrow

Laser Flashlight Hack! - video powered by Metacafe -- am I the only one who finds this simultaneously cool and frightening? What do you think the range is on this thing?

Yahoo! News: Spider web engulfs Texas park trail -- creepycool.

Heating With Radium: nicely creepy, ye olde view of the future


Profound Commentary on Western Civilization
Scott and Rory and the Baby Carrots at TechEd 2005 -- although it looks like it was shot with a cell phone, this made me laugh. And laugh and laugh and laugh. I may have a short circuit. That, plus I know too many programmers. And tiny carrots are always hilarious.

Village: The Game: it's a SimCity-esque game that teaches you how to be an ethical Third World entrepreneur. I'm not into gaming, and I haven't even tried this yet, but this seems to have its heart in the right place. Check it out and get back to me on this.

Should the Net forget? -- Rough Type is a wonderfully thoughtful blog about how ethics and the Internet intertwine. Good stuff.

Greg the Bunny -- Monster Puppets a Breed Apart: trippy, and very funny.

Bono and Steve Jobs: this is so on the money, I can't stand it.

Intermarriage, a short 'n' sweet love story via Yo Yenta!

Side show 'freak' wants to be a lawyer: am I the only one who doesn't see the big deal? Gooble gobble, we accept you, one of us etc.

Odd Mustache Competition: I love the phrase 'beard enthusiast.'

Judge strikes down part of Patriot Act: Hallelujah! Hell may have finally frozen over.

Violent Acres: The Pentecostal Church and The Holy Ghost Want You To Wear Big Panties -- hilarious as always. A great (if disturbing) slice o' Americana.

Midwest Teen Sex Show: BRILLIANCE. All episodes are nothing short of spectacular, but my current favorite is Episode #6 (Gym Class).

Mom via Planet Hiltron. Carole Morgan is sheer brilliance. My car is my freedom!

Mr. Bean: Invisible Drum Kit

Rowan Atkinson: Welcome to Hell

xkcd: Dating Polls: it staggers me, really, how much stupendousness there is in this world. So much creativity! So much hilarity! So much brilliance! Can I be this cool when I grow up?


Art & Design-y Things
daab creative: my friend Luke has his own agency, and oh my lordy is he awesomely talented. He makes me feel all sorts of glamorous just for knowing him.

What can be done from old books: the sacrilege of all this makes me cringe, but WOW these things are gorgeous. SO innventive, so beautiful...so wrong.

Art is Not a Scam: so dumb it's awesome. Makes me feel 11 again, and I mean that in the best possible way.

Henrik Halversson: NSFW, but still stellar photography. I'm a giant fan of the portraits.

Paleo-Future: GM's Three-Wheeled Runabout (1966): oh MAN I want this car. SO cool!

MareNostrum, Europe's No. 1 Supercomputer via Papelera 21: a supercomputer in a former church? How very Avengers. Beautiful.

Amazing things: The ghost of Chernobyl. Via Unscathed Corpse. I especially love the neato graffiti.

Tribbles, Gorey style! Oh boy, I love Gorey! Oh boy! Great homage.

B-Movie Retro Fonts

Science tattoos!

English Russia >> The Matrix Goggles via William Gibson Books

Decline and Fall of the Ligature because I really am that much of a typography geek. You'd never guess I have a degree in graphic design, would you?

Amazing things: 21 examples of dullness in construction LOVE this.

We Make Money Not Art: The unhappier you are, the more ice cream you get I'm trying to decide if this is a good thing or bad thing.


Screens, Big & Small
Haitian UFO Sighting: very graceful, and I'd love to know the story behind it.

Video compilation of TV logo signoffs via Boing Boing: ah, dated signage with synth music. How marvelously quaint.

YouTube: Technological Terror via Papelera 21. Truly a terrific way to get Star Wars geeks to turn off their cell-phone ringers.

Vertigo! -- OMG OMG OMG!
Vertigo, this time with cavemen!


(Sometimes Spooky) Kitsch-o-Rama
Do What Now?: Corn Is Not a Filling -- I am always a sucker for excellent kitsch, and Do What Now? never disappoints.

Do What Now?: It's a total blue-out -- I love AND hate this. Interesting.

Freaky Mermaid Guitar: this just seems wrong, somehow.

Which brings us to: Little Hokum Rag: Teenar, Girl Guitar -- wrong for so many reasons.

Dow What Now?: Whatever. It's still a hamburger meat bolus. Pretty much says it all.

Yurt Madness! Who isn't mad for yurts?


Music
YouTube: Polly Paulusma - Guitar Shop Tour - Track 1 - Day One: This wonderful singer/songwriter is touring different guitar shops, recording different tracks on proprietor-recommended guitars she's (presumably) never played before. SUCH a neat idea! This particular track, despite the poor sound quality, is still achingly sweet.

Kimya Dawson:"I Like Giants" via /Film. Long intro, and unnecessary non-singing stuff at the end, but the actual song is nothing short of magnificent, in a simple way. For fans of The Moldy Peaches.


Health
Tattoo bandage assortment: for the biker with a paper cut, here's your chance to have the most stylish adhesive bandage on your person ever.

Researchers discover correlation between birth month and short-sightedness via Phys Org. I was born in November, what's my excuse?

No comments:

Post a Comment